Sunday, July 13, 2014

Genre? What Genre?

by Cate Masters

I’m not a fan of labels. At all. So I don’t think about genre when I write. All that matters to me is telling a compelling story with engaging characters readers will care about. My stories span a range of genres, from historical to contemporary and fantasy/paranormal to mainstream. Romances can be sweet to erotic, or no romance at all.
      Dead to Rights is difficult for me to label. Though there’s some romantic tension between the hero and heroine, it’s not a romance. Is it an urban fantasy, or a dark paranormal? I’m never quite sure of the distinction between the two, but the novel does contain some violence and language, so the heat level’s bumped up because of that.
   Is it the first in a series? The ending certainly left that option open. I’d love to follow up with more stories about these characters, or perhaps interrelated stories about other warrior angels. Zeke, who appeared at the end, was a surprise to even me, and immediately fascinated me. He’s better known as Ezekiel, but his brief presence felt very palpable to me.
   What attracts you to a book? Does genre matter to you? If you read an interesting blurb outside a genre you normally read, will you try the book?

Dead to Rights is available from Decadent Publishing HERE

Blurb:
   Identity theft sucks. But it’s worse when someone steals your life—body included. All memory of her life before waking up in a mental facility has vanished. Or was erased. Now she has to figure out how to get it all back….
   Her only hope of learning the truth lies with one man. Problem is, he’s the leader of a cult. Her only choice is to follow him into his sordid world, where a darker evil lurks.
With a little help from an archangel hellbent on revenge, she may have a chance to learn the truth. But will it force her to make the hardest decision of her life…or death?

#catemasters, #deadtorights, #decadentpub, #archangel

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There are a lot of books that don't fit into just one niche. Too bad multiple genre labels can't be applied.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm a chicken at heart so not a fan of horror. If a book hints at horror I'll probably pass even if the blurb sounds great.

Cate Masters said...

True, Alex, though I find I usually like those books better!

I'm a chicken too! lol Hard-core horror I shy away from, but some lighter horror I love.