Thursday, December 18, 2014

Where Does the Time Go?

   It’s hard to believe my little 1NightStand story, Wise Men Say, is two years old. I say that, because there’ve been so many changes in my life since its publication – good, bad and otherwise.

   But I still smile when I think about how this holiday story was born. I’m not sure if it was fate, coincidence, or cheesy pun – but for some reason ‘Elvis’ references presented themselves and I put them to work, after all, the Hotel Castillo IS in Las Vegas! (Really - I’m not an Elvis fan)

   Thankfully, one of The King’s songs went well with the holiday-esque story. The story was originally titled 'Never Brought To Mind,' but in her way, my writer-bestie, fellow-1NightStander and beta reader, Deanna Wadsworth, mentioned the reference was a bit vague (the line is from the New Year's song, "Auld Lang Syne"). So since the story takes place during Christmas/New Year's, you can take the title as The Wise Men, The Magi who followed the Star of Bethlehem, or a portion of the chorus from the Elvis song.

Songs always seem to come to mind when thinking of what my characters are going through. 

   Emmy, the main female character has bee alone, waiting for someone a long time. Still she believes her situation will have a happy ending - so Richard Marx.



   The male in the story has a much more serious situation – he’s been separated from the people he loves and his home for a long time. Thank you, Michael Buble.


  Here’s hoping your loved ones are near to you this Christmas, enjoy their presence in every way, regardless of how hectic the holiday season is.

   Merry Christmas.


When not playing with the people in her head, Wendy has a full time job behind the scenes in television, a part time job in radio and an even 'parter' time job trying to keep her house clean. She lives with her cute chef husband and three fuzzy felines in the Great Lakes region of the Mid-West.

No comments: